Friday, January 9, 2009

Quilt update, birds, and TP

The quilt is coming along well! Here's the side with assorted fabrics from Grandma. I just pieced them together randomly (I like random) and sewed them in strips.
Then here's the other side. And below that is the unfinished quilt binding edge. I've never done a quilt binding (since I've never made a quilt!) but thanks to this flickr tutorial: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8244232@N08/sets/72157602048418660/ I was able to figure it out easily. Now I just need to handsew the edges and I'm done! This will be our couch quilt. Woo hoo!


I made these felt birds from stiff felt I got at JoAnn's. It's only .79 cents for a large sheet and I could literally cut out 10+ birds per sheet, so it's not only a cute craft but inexpensive too! The wings fit onto the body as you can see by the one I assembled on the right. These would be cute tucked into a card as a little gift. I'm giving these to our little guests that we're having over for a family dinner tomorrow. I got the idea and pattern here: http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=12105


Who knew a 20 pk. of Scott's toilet tissue could provide so much fun? I wouldn't say hours of fun, but many happy minutes were spent stacking it into skyscrapers and marching it up the stairs like this.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, wait, how long were you working on the quilt? 2 weeks? I started a quilt during the 2002 Winter Olympics. I am not making that up. I am maybe a third of the way done piecing it together? Apparently, though, the pattern that I picked is insanely hard. I should have thougth that through better. Now, it's rolled up in batting and my cat sleeps on it. I'm not making that up either! I think I might have to work on it this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, probably 2 weeks. I purposely picked one that was quick because I tend to be impatient and like to start and finish projects quick. Not always a good thing, but...

    I look at my grandma's quilts and am in awe. So many pieces, so much time and love put into them, it's amazing. I love that you sew too! And what an ambitious project! I'm sure you'll finish it and it will be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and thank you for stopping by!