Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Paper Journals & Books & thrifted furniture part 2

blank books ready for little storytellers and artists

I've been interested in sewing paper for awhile and finally sewed some journals last month. After some difficulty with needle breakage, I went with some heavy duty denim needles and that's worked well. I also tried doing pockets in my first journals, and I like that, but it's more difficult to get my machine to handle it, plus more time consuming. These are just one seam down the middle, each journal/book only takes about a minute total. woo hoo!


Supplies ready for book making.
I made a stack of paper journals to give away to my friends. So awesome!

I made a picnic blanket/lap quilt. Oh my goodness, it was so easy! I have a stash of fat quarters and chose 6 of them, then because I wanted a rectangle, I cut 2 of them in half to sew on the ends of the square (which I made with 4 fat quarters). Then I used other larger fabric scraps for the backing, cut about an inch smaller than the quilt front, and folded the edges of the quilt front over and sewed, so the pattern of the front dresses up the plain backing. I really love this blanket.


Time for a part 2 to my part 1 here.



This bookshelf is perfect for this corner here! Found it at Goodwill for $10 and painted it the same color as the walls.

This table was about $5 I think.


This is our craft cabinet, which I found at a yard sale for $30. It needed new shelves inside, which Rob did for me, and then I repainted it white.



And this interesting chair was $1. It was brown and had no seat. Rob cut a new seat from plywood and I just stapled fabric on and attached it and painted it white (well, I painted it first).

3 comments:

  1. You've done such a beautiful job with the books! and the thrifted furniture!! I especially like your craft cabinet. Every household w/ little ones could benefit from one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, Eva. :) yes, i agree--every household needs a craft cabinet, i don't know how we'd get along w/o it! i tried to see your blog, do you still have one??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do still have a blog...but don't update very often. I'm going to try to be a bit better about updating! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and thank you for stopping by!