Saturday, December 26, 2009

christmas wrap-up

The presents got wrapped on christmas eve by Rob and I and it didn't take too long at all. We really strived to not give too much, just a few presents for each child. And I realized as we were wrapping that only one thing for the children was plastic (the mp3 player). It wasn't a conscious decision to NOT buy anything plastic (after all, my hoops are plastic, as are the bilibos we love and my new digital SLR (!!!)), but as I strive to live in accordance with my values--basically rejecting mainstream toys and marketing and commercialization of children--that's how it played out.


I was happy to realize too that we saved money while giving special things--I got the PLAN rocking horse and deluxe road set both used, the MP3 was used too, and the books and train tracks were purchased at independent stores, which is really important to me too. We didn't buy a single toy in a chain. We're making strides and will continue on this path, and it is exciting.


The day began at 4 am. Yes, 4 am. Oh, the magic and wonder!


Grace cleverly re-gifted toys to her brother and sister that she didn't want anymore.  Lily loved getting the pink bilibo.

Books!

Hockey skates (thank you, craigslist!!)



Lily diapered her new doll.

Calvin's doll takes a horseback ride.




Big bedhead.

Happy merrymaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and thank you for stopping by!